How you may wish to apply for your first degree in the UK from a UK university can be tricky.

Here are some tips to help you make an informed decision.


Choose your UK university first When choosing a UK school, it is important to make sure you get the right qualifications first.

Many universities require students to have completed at least one year of work experience, including a qualification from a recognised employer such as a trade union or the civil service.

The key to choosing the right school is to make an educated decision.

If you are considering a new job in a different country, be sure you understand the specific requirements and regulations of that country.


Read your degree requirements There are specific requirements to be covered by your degree, which can include teaching experience, as well as other relevant subjects such as social studies and language.

The requirements may also include the length of time you have spent working in a particular profession.

If your chosen degree is from a trade or professional organisation, you will need to be prepared to take a series of examinations.

Read the university’s guidance for each subject.


Get a copy of your work experience You will need a copy in order to prove that you have worked in a specific field and that your work is relevant to your degree.

The aim is to get a record of your activities and work experience so you can check your progress.


Choose a UK degree program There are two main ways to choose a UK education program: from abroad You can choose from the International Certificate of Education (ICEE) or from a single-site degree program from the UK, or from two separate international programs from the US and Germany.

Read more about choosing from the ICEE.

Alternatively, you can go for the single-location program from a partner university.

You will also need to get approval from your employer before you begin work, although this may not be required for some programs.

If it is not possible, you may be able to apply directly to the UK’s Higher Education Funding Council for help with the application process.


Choose an accredited UK university If you want to study in the United Kingdom, you must obtain a Certificate of Accreditation (COA) from a leading UK university.

Some institutions, such as the University of Leicester, also offer accredited degrees.

Some UK universities offer both the COA and an accredited degree.

Find out more about UK universities.

If all else fails, you might be able the UK to offer a single certificate of accreditation for both.

However, it may not always be possible.

If the UK is not your first choice, consider studying in a UK-based institution.


Get your UK degree certificate How long it takes to apply to study at a UK institution depends on the programme you choose.

Most UK universities require you to provide your name and details of any previous teaching experience before you start work.

If this is not the case, your work may not take place for up to five years, unless you have the correct qualifications.

This can include having completed a programme for up and down your degree course.

Read about UK academic qualifications and courses.


Apply for a British citizenship certificate You can apply to a UK citizenship certificate at any time before you apply for work.

You need to have the right of British citizenship if you want your application to be accepted, as it is an essential element of the process.

You must also prove that the British government has granted your right of residence in the country.

This is done by proving that you meet the minimum requirements and that you are entitled to work and reside in the British territory.

You can find out more at Citizenship in the 21st Century.


Apply to join a trade association The application process is very different for a trade federation.

A trade federation applies to join an accredited international organisation.

This organisation will then assess your application and make recommendations for how to develop your qualifications.

You may then take the UK national qualifications examination, or you may take a separate examination from another UK institution.

Read our detailed article on the UK trade federation programme.


Apply if you are on a short-term study visa There are different ways to apply if you have been granted a temporary work visa.

The short-stay work visa, or TWP, is for those people who have been in the EU for a short period of time but have returned to the EU.

TWP can be used for up for up 12 months and can also be extended for up another 12 months.

Read all about TWP here.

If granted a TWP or a TWS, you are required to attend a formal orientation to learn the English language, including the history and meaning of English.

It is important that you learn how to apply English in the English-speaking world, as this is an important part of your job.


Choose whether you need a certificate or a certificate of study You will probably want to have a certificate as soon as you have completed your work.